31 Mar Tips To Ensure Safety While Using Rigging Equipment
Rigging is a very important process in most of the businesses today, especially construction and shipyard industries. Rigging can be referred to any hardware and / or equipment that the businesses use to attach heavy objects to the device that will lift it. It is also defined as the process or an art to hook the load or the heavy object to the lifting device by using the most durable slings and other required hardware / equipment.
Since the process of rigging involves lifting of heavy weight objects, the amount of risk that exists in this process is high too. Not following the process of rigging in an appropriate manner or any kind of instance that can lead to failure of the rigging process may cause various potential hazards to the workers or riggers. One can go through the rigging requirements that are upheld by OSHA to ensure workers’ safety. Some of the inclusions of the rigging requirements include high maintenance of rigging hardware / equipment, training and educating the employees on safety measures, inspection of site and equipment, and many other arrangements.
Here are some of the most general rigging requirements that should be followed to ensure workers’ safety:
- Any rigging equipment or hardware should go through a diligent inspection by an expert. This will help ensure that the equipment is safe enough to be used. Also, the equipment that is used for handling the material must go through a proper inspection before every shift of its use.
- It should be a mandatory policy to use only those rigging equipment that are in sound condition. Any single potential default or malfunction should not be ignored or treated as non-dangerous.
- Any defective hardware or equipment should be prohibited from use. In most cases, it is advisable to get it repaired, if possible. In case it cannot be repaired, then it should be discarded. This should be done because if it is kept at the site, there is a chance that other workers who are not aware of its malfunction may use it and be exposed to potential hazards.
- It is important to identify its safe working conditions and instructions. So before using the rigging equipment, ensure to know about the highest amount of weight that it can lift, types of hitches used, other identification marks, the right angle or length that it is based on, number of legs and other related information.
- All the employees should be kept away from the loads that are lifted or are descended at the desired location. So even in case there is any mishandling or mishap, the workers will not be hurt. One can also draw lines restricting entries or marks suggesting ‘do not enter’ for employees and any other member around the site.
- For ensuring long lasting durability of the rigging equipment and hardware, it is advisable to know the manufacturer’s instructions and recommendations on the ways to store and maintain the same. Also, regular servicing and inspection of the rigging equipment will help to ensure smooth functioning of the same.